Wednesday, April 27, 2005

For Natalie

This is certainly a continuous work-in-progress as I refine the words and feelings. But here's what I have so far, in some sketchy order. It has an airy sound to it like a cross between R.E.M.'s Electrolite, the acoustic flavors of The One I Love (no surprise) and Green Day's Good Riddance. I made sure to make a base chord progression out of it too so it doesn't sound like a constant drone.

At the risk of sounding un-creative, this song generally doesn't have a chorus (similar to Losing My Religion). Although, there is a familiar break between verses with a verse. Um, yeah..i think.

I worked it out so it's a 5-bar line. There are no straight chords like in Annie. They're all picked apart (see above references). The 5th bar is the 'transition' bar. I really could use a bassist on the support during each progression. Since it's new and in progress, these notes (no pun intended) are for my use to remember wtf I'm writing :)


[02-jan-2006]
ok, after months and months of continuous playing i got it locked in now, and the final lyrics are here!

[27-apr-2005]
k, i've updated this slightly. and i have decided to go all the way and flat out dedicate this to natalie. this is her song and she deserves it.

Natalie: i wish you the best in everything.



[14-may-2005]
ok, this is getting a MAJOR refresh! i've been playing this a LOT lately, because i REALLY like it and it's awesome on the acoustic... it sounds crappy on the strat.

the words are still there, teensy bit of re-arrangement. and i added a bridge which sounds very very cool.



[02-Jul-2005]
The refreshes continue with some tweaking of the wordings. Nothing exotic, just making it fit the tune better.



[1] Gmaj
[2] C9
[3] Dsus2 (mid)
[4] Am7
[5] d/dsus4 (f#/g) (high)
[6] C
[7] G (not maj)

oblig. intro:
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] x 4

then bridge:
[6] [7] [3] [4] [5]


[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
Today you left, I saw you go
Three weeks will pass, and I will cope
Don't say good-bye, just say hello
Tokyo, is where you must go

(bridge)
[6] [7] [3] [4] [5]


August will come in full bloom
Seattle calls and beckons you home
Saturn will call and return you
September comes and I will be home

(bridge)
[6] [7] [3] [4] [5]

Soon, with luck, you will be gone
Soon, with luck, i will be home

(bridge)
[6] [7] [3] [4] [5]

Don't say good-bye, we just say hello
Tokyo is where you must go
Seattle calls and welcomes you home
September's come, and I will be home

(bridge)
[6] [7] [3] [4] [5]

Soon, with luck, you will be gone
Soon, with luck, i will be home

(bridge)
[6] [7] [3] [4] [5]

Have a happy landing
Have a happy ending
Have a happy landing
Have a happy ending

(bridge)
[6] [7] [3] [4]

pick out C, drop E to D (brief C9 transition)
end with broken G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home